Skip to main content

DIVERSITY AND PUBLIC POLICIES´s COURSE


Hi there, hope you are doing well and staying safe. As you can see in the title, today I will talk about a postgraduate course that I would like to take.

I have always been very informed about the groups that throughout history have been excluded from decision-making, and, therefore, measures taken at the state level will impact these groups differently in comparison to the hegemonic groups of our society. When I speak of "excluded groups" I am speaking of women, sexual dissidents, indigenous peoples, immigrants, etc., all of them have been (to a greater or lesser extent) left out in the formulation, development and evaluation of public policies. Because of this, I see a need to introduce diverse perspectives within public organizations in order not to reproduce patterns of exclusion and discrimination. All this, I am inclined to the option of taking a course / diploma on "Diversity and Public Policies".

I would like to study subjects such as the history of how public organizations have created a scenario where social groups excluded from public decision-making are structurally marginalized. It would be very useful to have this subject in order to have a clear contextualization regarding the evolution and progress that the state has had on this issue. Another subject that I would like to have would be that of the gender and sexual perspective in public policies. I think this would be essential when I will be working and making decisions so that they are the right ones and do not continue to negatively affect women and people of sexual diversity.

To be honest I would like to study in another country in order to have comparative experiences much closer to what I would receive learning here, in Chile. In this way, I can learn about the marginalization of excluded groups in other countries. However, the idea of studying in Chile doesn't bother me, it's just not what I prefer. In Chile there is also a diploma course taught by the University of Chile called "Diversity and Public Policy".

What I am clear about is that I would like this course to be face-to-face. I do not think of another type of system since the experience of presence (in my opinion) is much better than a distance. Likewise, if I were from Chile, with more reason I would like the course to be face-to-face. 

Now, I hope that one day these courses do not have to exist, and that no one must take them. I hope that one day we will reach a point as a society in which it is substantively egalitarian, and that the groups that I called "excluded" not be more, just for the mere fact of understanding that we are equal. This, consequently, we would all understand that public policies must have a gender and sexual perspective, with a comprehensive view of native peoples and immigrants. However, I think I am being very dreamer, and for this reason, I think it is necessary to take a course like this, so that no one is impacted differently (and most of the time negatively) by public policies just for the fact of belonging to groups that society has violated their rights and discriminated against. This, not like an act of condescension, but an act of humanity and respect for the other.

Alex xx




Comments

  1. Oh, going to another country to study! You are so brave, I could never... I'm way too scared of the world to do that on my own, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you and I was pretty sure when I started reading your blog that it would be something similar to your future graduate degree. Courage and strength to change such a prejudiced and discriminatory society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our society will not be able to move forward if we do not take into account the groups that have historically been excluded from the state, it must be a very nice course, I hope you can travel to take it <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very happy to read your words, it is clear that you have a great commitment to social causes. A pleasure to have such partners, thank you very much for sharing n.n

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alex, I really liked this blog, It shows it´s something that you are pretty passionate about and I think thats great and that is what our society need, people with good intentions on helping others, specially diversity. Hope you accomplish all of your academic desires!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alex!It is it nice to read what you write, your purpose is really important to be able to build better conditions for diversity.
    I hope you can do that and much more (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohh I think it is a great path, especially in Chile because of its culture, I think it would be great to have tools to achieve a truly inclusive society!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope this course allows you to contribute to eradicate exclusions from diversities

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alex! Wow what a great idea, it’s very important to give voice to minorities, great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY FUTURE JOB

  I entered this career always thinking about the vocation of public service, to be honest, any job that can satisfy the problems of the people in the state, I would be very grateful. Now, I would love to work in some ministries creating projects and public policies, it is the area that I like the most of public administration, I think I am very good at creating things and I also feel that I am very close to the realities of people to be able to implement good projects. It could also be in a municipality where the work is closer to the people. Everything I mentioned above of course I would do indoors, but only because I feel more comfortable and I think I perform better, I like routine and being in an office would not bother me. If the opportunity to travel were given it would be incredible, I would like to be able to compare the functioning of the government and public management in other countries, it would be incredible. But more than a trip, it would be to collect the good of the f

MY BEST HOLIDAYS

Hi there,  On this occasion (as you saw in the title) I will tell you about my best holidays, specifically, my trip to Uruguay. I went to Uruguay in February 2017, when I was 15 years old. I didn't go with my parents; I went with my uncles and my two cousins ​​because they made me the invitation. We stayed in the country for two weeks. And one of the things that I remember the most and I am ashamed to this day, is that the first day we arrived at customs at the Uruguay Airport I dropped my identity card!!! I did not realize, however, a person who was behind me, passed it to me (fortunately) . To this day I wonder, what would have happened if I had lost it? Maybe they wouldn't even have let me in. Take care of your identity card, please. Don´t be like me. But well, that's a very bad anecdote. The first week of vacation we traveled to Montevideo, we stayed in a neighborhood called “Pocitos”. There we arrived at a very nice hotel, the best thing of that hotel was that it

Brief Analysis of my favorite Science Fiction book: Brave New World (Un Mundo Feliz)

As you saw in the title, today I will do a brief analysis of the novel "Brave New World" (in Spanish: Un Mundo Feliz). But first, I will do a little summary. Brave New World is a novel written by Adolf Huxley and published in 1932. It is interesting to notice that Huxley wrote this novel before the periods of totalitarianism and dictatorships, however, the text is based on a totalitarianism, without this book being a criticism of these regimes. The book relates a futuristic world 632 years after a world revolution that established a "World State" where humans are created and genetically altered. In addition, when they born, they are separated into castes. These castes are designated with letters of the Greek alphabet from the Alpha (upper caste) to the Epsilon (lower caste). The castes are physically and intellectually inferior to the previous one. This in order to have people adapted to their social position, during childhood they are conditioned, in order to b