Skip to main content

The New Constitution: Rights of women and LGBTIQ+ people


Human rights, including the rights of women and LGBTIQ+ people, are recognized in international treaties that Chile has ratified and that are in force. In this sense, there are international commitments that cannot be ignored. This was recognized in the “Agreement for Social Peace and the New Constitution”. For example, the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women or the Inter-American Convention to Prevent, Punish and Eradicate Violence against Women "Belém do Pará". 

We have to be able to propose, explain and clearly establish the scope of the opening of national law to international law; the position that treaties occupies internally; and the ability to invoke them directly before a Chilean court; and the value of jurisprudence emanating from international courts. 

The philosophy on which the ideals of freedom and equality that sustain some modern democracies rest is that of the liberalism of the “Enlightenment”, which visualized an abstract type of "individual" that supposed in some way to universalize the reality of man, white and with resources . This tended not to make visible the realities and needs of those who did not fit into that category, that is, women, the poor, indigenous, foreigners, etc. In the 20th century, “egalitarian liberalism” and “feminism” emerged that drew attention to the need for basic social institutions to recognize and repair those kinds of injustices that, of social or natural origin, determined people's opportunities. But the idea of liberal equality of the liberalism of the Enlightenment, produced a homogeneity that is not real, ignoring the gender difference and that has turned the concept of "subject of law" into a paradigmatic reference that contributes to leaving intact the power structures that support a sexist legal culture and androcentric.

In Chile, constitutions have been written by and for heterosexual men, therefore, achieving full subjectivity of law has become a challenge for women and the LGBTIQ+ community. To a large extent, the androcentric, patriarchal, hetero and CIS normed paradigm that the law mandates, has failed to recognize the validated social subjectivity for women and LGBTIQ+ people. The constitutional recognition of this legal subjectivity is essential, but it is also necessary to achieve full citizenship for all people, a citizenship that enshrines and promotes the paradigm of equality and enables them to be a full subject of rights without restrictions or obstacles. For this we must recognize the legal subjectivity of women and people of diversity and sexual dissidence, in addition to problematizing the concept of "citizenship" considering the historical exclusion of certain groups, specifically women and people of diversity and sexual dissidence, in order that the consecration of full and effective citizenship is embodied, not just formal.

Alex xx 



Comments

  1. I love this topic, you addressed it very well! Congratulations n.n I would like to comment about the concept of intersectionality and how it is lived in our realities, and emphasize that it is very important to take this into account. You also commented on it and I think it is an excellent topic to continue researching... We women will continue to demand our rights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I really like how you approach the subject. I personally feel that it is an issue that should be taken very seriously and internalized with this. Not being from the community or not having known people is not a limit to being able to support the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so important! without a doubt, this is one of the topics that i will pay the most attention when the constituent process begins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this topic, it is infinitely interesting, it is so important that we continue to reflect

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY FUTURE JOB

  I entered this career always thinking about the vocation of public service, to be honest, any job that can satisfy the problems of the people in the state, I would be very grateful. Now, I would love to work in some ministries creating projects and public policies, it is the area that I like the most of public administration, I think I am very good at creating things and I also feel that I am very close to the realities of people to be able to implement good projects. It could also be in a municipality where the work is closer to the people. Everything I mentioned above of course I would do indoors, but only because I feel more comfortable and I think I perform better, I like routine and being in an office would not bother me. If the opportunity to travel were given it would be incredible, I would like to be able to compare the functioning of the government and public management in other countries, it would be incredible. But more than a trip, it would be to collect the good of the f

MY BEST HOLIDAYS

Hi there,  On this occasion (as you saw in the title) I will tell you about my best holidays, specifically, my trip to Uruguay. I went to Uruguay in February 2017, when I was 15 years old. I didn't go with my parents; I went with my uncles and my two cousins ​​because they made me the invitation. We stayed in the country for two weeks. And one of the things that I remember the most and I am ashamed to this day, is that the first day we arrived at customs at the Uruguay Airport I dropped my identity card!!! I did not realize, however, a person who was behind me, passed it to me (fortunately) . To this day I wonder, what would have happened if I had lost it? Maybe they wouldn't even have let me in. Take care of your identity card, please. Don´t be like me. But well, that's a very bad anecdote. The first week of vacation we traveled to Montevideo, we stayed in a neighborhood called “Pocitos”. There we arrived at a very nice hotel, the best thing of that hotel was that it

Brief Analysis of my favorite Science Fiction book: Brave New World (Un Mundo Feliz)

As you saw in the title, today I will do a brief analysis of the novel "Brave New World" (in Spanish: Un Mundo Feliz). But first, I will do a little summary. Brave New World is a novel written by Adolf Huxley and published in 1932. It is interesting to notice that Huxley wrote this novel before the periods of totalitarianism and dictatorships, however, the text is based on a totalitarianism, without this book being a criticism of these regimes. The book relates a futuristic world 632 years after a world revolution that established a "World State" where humans are created and genetically altered. In addition, when they born, they are separated into castes. These castes are designated with letters of the Greek alphabet from the Alpha (upper caste) to the Epsilon (lower caste). The castes are physically and intellectually inferior to the previous one. This in order to have people adapted to their social position, during childhood they are conditioned, in order to b